What are Essential Oils and What Do They Do?
At Maison Rose, several of our candles are blended with organic essential oils. Essential oils are often used in aromatherapy, which is a form of alternative medicine that employs plant extracts to support health and well-being.
What are Essential Oils?
Essential oils are compounds extracted from plants. These oils capture the plant's scent, flavour and essence. Each and every essential oil has its own unique aromatic compounds. Essential oils are obtained through distillation, through steam, water or through mechanical methods like "cold pressing."
Once the aromatic chemicals are extracted, they are combined with a carrier oil, to create a ready-to-use essential oil product. The way essential oils are made is important to know, because essential oils that are obtained through chemical processes are not pure and real essential oils.
How Do Essential Oils Work?
Essential oils are often used in the practice of aromatherapy, where we inhale them, just like the candles at Maison Rose. Inhaling aromas from essential oils can stimulate areas of your limbic system, which is a part of your brain that plays a role in emotions, behaviours, sense of smell and long-term memory.
Interesting fact: the limbic system is involved with forming memories, which is why when we smell familiar scents, it can trigger memories or emotions.
Popular Essential Oils & Their Benefits
There are several types of essential oils, some of which we use to make the candles at Maison Rose. Each essential oil has its benefits. Below we explain some of them:
- Peppermint Oil: It is used to boost energy and help with digestion
- Lavender: Helps to relieve stress
- Sandalwood: Helps to calm nerves and focus better
- Orange: Decreases inflammation and is an depressant
- Bergamont: Helps reduce stress and improve skin conditions such as eczema
- Rose: Used to improve mood and relax
- Chamomile: Helps with relaxation
- Ylang-Ylang: Used to help tread headaches, nausea and skin conditions
- Tea Tree: Fights infections and boosts immunity
- Jasmine: Helps fight depression, childbirth and libido
- Lemon: Helps with digestion, mood and headaches
- Cucumber: Detoxifies skin, helps to keep calm and relieve stress
- Cinnamon: Reduces nervousness and improves circulation
- Eucalyptus: Clears respiratory passages, eases muscle and joint pain
Check out our candle collection, where we carry several candles that use essential oils. At Maison Rose, we offer radiant soy candles that are 100% plant-based, eco-friendly and are beautifully scented. Get yours today www.maisonrose.co.